Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Southern Demolition and Environmental Staff probs and potholes prior to digging and demolition project at site outside Atlanta in Austell, Georgia
The following is from the Georgia 811 Utility Protections Center, Inc website:


What is the tolerance zone?



The tolerance, or buffer zone, extends two feet on either side of the outer edge of the facility. Please try not dig within the tolerance zone. However, if you have to dig within the buffer zone, follow these guidelines:



• Do not use picks or mattocks.

• When using a shovel, keep face of blade parallel to and pointing away from the "flag line."

• When using posthole diggers, keep the opening between blades pointing in the same direction as the utility lines.

• In hard compacted soils, pothole to the side of the locate marks and collapse the soil into the hole while digging towards the marks.



Here is a sample tolerance zone diagram:



4 comments:

  1. This is very helpful information. I was about to start a demolition in montreal, but I'm grateful I came here first. I hadn't heard of the tolerance zone before. I try to be careful, but better safe than sorry I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your post... keep sharing content, I'm a frequent reader of your blog..

    Sydney Rubbish Removals | Commercial Demolition Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is really interesting! I am glad that I came across this. I have never heard of the tolerance zone before, that is really interesting! My dad has been wanting to start a demolition here in our hometown but I am going to have him read this before he rushed into anything!
    Holly James | http://www.a-1concrete.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you able to calculate the deepness that would make you avoid the buffer zone? I think it is really interesting how you are able to calculate the buffer zone a lot of the times. I always wondered how you were able to figure out if you were going to hit a pipe or not. http://www.brajkovichdemolition.com.au/

    ReplyDelete